The name Vigilant® was chosen to highlight the need to maintain a constant watch over a nation’s fuel supply chain to combat adulteration, dilution and smuggling. Illicit trade in refined fuels can be substantially reduced by implementing a fuel marking program in partnership with a national government’s strong enforcement regime. Once this strict oversight is relaxed or removed, the illicit trade returns.
With citizens concerned about fuel quality and the dependence of many government programs on fuel excise tax revenues, a fuel marking program that serves as an attentive overseer of an important national resource is a good governance fundamental.
Authentix has been working with national governments around the globe for over 20 years deploying programs that combat smuggling, diversion and other tax avoidance schemes or illegal activities.
With Vigilant, Authentix is the only authentication company able to deliver an end-to-end offering for fuel supply chain protection that includes a suite of marker and analyzer technology, the powerful AXIS® information system, and comprehensive services.
How it works – 1-2-3
Vigilant is built on Authentix’s core capabilities: chemical markers and analyzers, the AXIS® Information System, and Authentix Services.
1. Services – A team of fuel marking experts will work with Government Ministry personnel to identify the program goals and the fuel supply chain issues.
- Advisory services recommend best practices, quickly identifying vulnerable spots in the supply chain and the development of an enforcement strategy that is in keeping with the country’s regulatory and statutory practices.
- Design services develop the best solution architecture – including which fuels will be marked and where, the sampling regime to be put in place and the technology to be deployed.
- Implementation services deploy Authentix project management resources both in-country and at headquarters to get the program up and running quickly. If the ongoing operational program is not run by Authentix, the implementation project will include training for 3rd party or government resources on program management and operational best practices.
- Operational support includes a dedicated program manager at headquarters and annual program audits to ensure standard procedures and quality control practices are in use.
2. Markers and Analyzers – During the design phase the right markers and analyzers will be selected depending on the fuels to be marked, and where and how the sampling and testing will be done.
- Authentix utilizes an integrated “lock and key” approach that allows the greatest security and accuracy.
- A multi-layered approach can be employed by including several markers, such as one that can be tested for in the field, backed up by a marker detected by forensic laboratory testing. This approach allows for geographically-disbursed, rapid field testing with lab confirmation for enforcement action.
3. Information System – The AXIS Information System aggregates the data from marking operations, field sampling operations, testing results and other sources to present data-driven, actionable insights. The system is configurable to meet customer-specific business rules with the ability to schedule field sampling, forecast and detect trends, provide real-time reporting and accumulate information into case files.
How to get started
Contact us to schedule a complimentary supply chain assessment and fuel marking program ROI analysis. Learn how Vigilant can be custom-tailored to meet your government’s challenges with illicit trade in refined fuels.